Wednesday, October 22, 2008

MOVING ON/MAKING HISTORY


So today I took a mental health day. I decided I needed an additional 8 hours to put an end to what I will call an already fucked up week. (see two blogs below)
Got up at 6:30 like I always do, only this time
I decided
Ima just lay here. Watch the Today show, lust over Matt Lowers fine ass (I dont know why but he does it for me) all without preparing for battle
I slept, talked to my peoples and then got up and put some clothes on so...
that
I COULD make history

Its 11:36 and I find my parking space at the public library
Im about to make history
Theres already 100's of other history makers in line in front of me
Few college kids with Fraternity and Sorority shirts
making a difference
making sure they are seen making a difference

Older white couple directly infront of me. He says the cutest thing
talks about how each year his wife gets younger and younger
yet he still ages
She smiles, I get jealous because I want someone to look at me like that 30 years from now
hold up, I'm supposed to be moving on
suppress it
suppress it
suppressed.

Lady behind me, 68 years old talks about how this is the most important election of her life time. I tell her I didn't eat before I came
she looks in her purse for nourishment
nothing
Good, because I don't know I feel about that
yall know how old folks leave crackers in there purse for like 6 months
"just in case"
She was out of supplies
Thank you lord!
Thanks but no thanks Ms. Mary
My stomach is growling but Im stuck in line for another hour or so with these history makers so I ignore why Im here on a mental sabbatical, tell myself Im not running from shit just moving on and
Making history

Ms. Mary tells me about how she was on her way to take her daughter to a family members house in rural NC and pulls over to take her daughter to the restroom.
The owner says
"Niggers cant use his facilities"
She will never forget that
neither will I.
That's why I am changing history today

She tells me about her stroke, open heart surgery her husband who she loved with all her heart who just died last year
suppress it shellz
suppress it
suppressed.

The Gay couple behind her mouths wide open all in our conversation.
Speaks of hope
Says they admire her and I look back at the two black boys behind them
wearing a familiar fragrance
Nope not Burberry
Not CK, OR Dolce
its
Sticky Ickky, Green, Weed, Mary Jane
High as a damn kite
still making history though

talking,
eyes wide shut
speaking to the Gay couple, and me and Ms Mary
acknowledging that
WE
are America, placing preconceived notions aside. laughing
smiling because
we are all making history.

20, 30, 40, 60, 90 minutes
pass
Its our turn.
I remind the
"weed boys"
to take a sample ballot home with them
show it to their family
the one with the long dreads I say
"show it to your daughter".
There is a black man on the ballot
it might not ever happen again
Show her how you made history
the one with the short dreads stares at me
like
I LOVE YOU
Will you be my woman?
Suppress it
Suppress it
Hell Nah!
You trippen shellz..
stretching....
Turn my head
remember, I'm here to make history

Its my turn

"Ms T"(my last name)
You can come to machine 3
machine 3
machine 3 with the black man on the ballot

"Let us know if you have any questions"

I dont.
My mind has been made up
I believe
I know
Its time.

touch screen BARACK OBAMA/JOE BIDEN
I touched it
I TOUCHED IT!!
Put a big check mark beside my future
MADE HISTORY

Straight democratic ticket for everything else.
look around
the guy with the short dreads is looking at me
we smile,
honey,
its
surpressed
Yeah
*sigh


push the blue button that says
"CAST YOUR BALLOT"
Ticket moves back and forth says Im done

IM DONE
Voting for the black man on the ballot

I wave goodbye to Ms. Mary,
the weed boys, the gay couple
the older white couple
A microcosm of AMERICA

Go back to my car, feeling good because
Im making moves
and
MADE HISTORY.


I could have said "I voted today," buts it deeper than that.

GO VOTE, PLEASE!!
MAKE HISTORY

I LOVE YALL

Stay-Relevant

ShellZ

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I felt sooooo proud the day that I voted, but even prouder becuase this whole election seems so much bigger than I. With One vote, I felt like I did something so grand, so unmistakably remarkable...I'm Still on my voting high a week and a half later!! I still have my "I Voted", sticker as well as my access code ticket stub, both posted on my bulletin board. I will never forget that day, and I never want to! As a matter of fact...I will never allow myself to forget the importance of that day, in my lifetime.

with love.
your little cus in L-ville.

Few Redeeming Qualities.... said...

congratulations historymaker. i loved the long-winded story, but matt lower. are you serious? you stumped me with that one.

Relevantlystaying said...

@ O' you silly, Matt does something for me. Him and BILL MAHER!!!!!!!
Lawd have mercy!

I know strange right?