Monday, January 25, 2010

The Beautiful People

A yard is a yard
until
it is landscaped.

It’s not until seeds are planted
And
They bloom
That the beauty of the yard and all things surrounding it
Can be appreciated.

I like to consider myself
A yard sometimes...............

And there are many people in my life who are
my

LANDSCAPERS

They cultivate
me
Water me
Encourage me
to grow

And
each of them are available
through
all seasons.

I got tired of writing about my opinions of love
You guys know….
I’ll always have those

I have determined that
I haven’t dedicated enough time
on this blog

To the lovely women in my life.

The ones who
have landscaped me

Some of whom are my best friends, new friends, old friends,
Spiritual advisors, tear wipers,
and
anything else you can think of in between

The make me
Cultured

Free
Happy
And

MOST IMPORTANTLY
I
feel

LOVED because of them....

I decided that you never can say enough how much you appreciate people.
And the ladies I have featured today are not
THE ONLY
Ladies who have helped me throughout my
Life’s journey

They are solely an example of how blessed I am.

I will do this again, and again
and
AGAIN

Until every woman I know, admire, and love
is featured on this blog

I am not selfish
So I think its important that they
share their knowledge
not just with me
but
with the world.............


I sent them all a list of 8 questions and the answers all vary.
But strangely enough
There is a

Commonality

They all display
Compassion, Humility,
And

WISDOM

We can all benefit from that right?

Take a look below

read their answers and Internalize them
you could learn alot....

If you know any of them

Thank GOD for them

I know

I do

To everyone that reads this blog
Don’t be surprised if you’re next

We are all lucky to have each other
And I’m exposing us for how beautiful we

ALL

Are.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!




MICHELLE

Beauty is defined as- an inner peace from God that emerges to the surface for everyone to see

Favorite Album Title-"My Life" by Mary J. Blige....

3 things that get me through the day-God, loved ones, and laughter.....

I’m am most afraid of - Not fulfilling God's destiny for me.


People would be shocked if they knew- I like to perform in front of audiences


Personal Motto- "Too blessed to be stressed"


Love is- Unconditional


At the end of the day,what matters is- That you did your best.




LORI

Beauty is defined as-how we look when we take the mask off

Favorite Album Title- Pleased to Meet Me by The Replacements

3 things that get me through the day-Coffee, Spike and the sun

I’m am most afraid of -No fears here, I’m a warrior

People would be shocked if they knew-
What I’ve been through

Personal Motto-Looking good is the best revenge

What is love-a total mystery



At the end of the day what matter is -I know who I am, where I’m goin and who deserves to be on that journey with me








MYRLANDE





Beauty is defined as- Being strong, confident, fabulous, intelligent and being able to express yourself freely. Beauty to me is a quality of the heart and not the outside of a person. Real beauty simply comes from within.

Favorite Album Title……………. Bravebird – Amel Larrieux

3 things that get me through the day- God, my family and my sanity

I’m most afraid of- Failure! Not succeeding or accomplishing Gods desire for my life. I'm mainly afraid of being ALONE

People would be shocked if they knew-Being pushed to the limit gives me a dash of inspiration to be successful!

Personal Motto- “Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option”. (Live, Laugh, Learn and Eat Lots of Chocolate…. Don't take life too seriously) - Joie de Vivre!


What is love- Love is holding no wrongs. Love is putting other needs before your own. Love is thinking about what you can change in your life to make your relationship better...not always looking at what they can change. True love definitely endures all things, hopes all things. True love is being committed to that love even when you don't feel like it. Love is GOD!

At the end of the day what matters is-Being happy and staying true to myself.

















TAMEKA



Beauty is defined as-confidence, an inner strength, a humble attitude, an approachable vibe and a calm wisdom!


Favorite Album Title- Marvin Sapp’s “Thirsty”…..you should always stay thirsty in you quest for knowledge, for wisdom and for God!



3 things that get me through the day-I have to say four and their names are Robert, Tyler, Tyson & Trendyn (they are my mighty men/my blessings!)



I’m am most afraid of- not fulfilling everything that I was place on earth to achieve and also fulfilling everything I was place here to do sometime success is just as scary as failure.


People would be shocked if they knew- how I struggle with my own self image! I am still trying to find what I am “most” passionate about! Some people know ultimately what they want to do with their life but I still don’t have a clear grasp on it!


Personal Motto-“My soul is empty and I am available to YOU!” and “I am ME…take it or leave it”


What is love-(I Corinthians 13:4) There are so many different kinds of love……I believe that love is allowing someone the opportunity to tap into your inner most thoughts, trusting them with all of you, protecting you from the harsh world, providing a place of comfort, including you in their dreams while allowing your dreams to flourish. Respecting all of you! Not keeping score or right and wrong! Allowing someone to be who they are but provoking them to their highest potential. Love has different faces, different phases, different depths…….but I think the common fact with all of them is respect.

At the end of the day what matter is-My relationship with God…My Family ….My Friends..and that I made a difference in someone’s life






NIAMBI


Beauty is defined as- BEING YOURSELF!!! I love meeting other woman that seem to exude beauty--not because they are the total physical package, but because they are full of personality, style, and confidence that is unique to them. I feel the most beautiful when I stop trying too hard. Everything AINT for everybody so you'll be the most beautiful when you walk in what is totally YOU!



Favorite Album Title-The first thing that popped into my head was WHO is JILL SCOTT. She put her beauty on that album, because she wrote/ sang/ and spoke HERSELF onto that Album (refer to question one)


3 things that get me through the day-My IPhone: I hate to admit it and I hate that it is true, but I am co-dependant on that thing. It keeps me connected to those that I love, it keeps me entertained, informed, and I’m not quite myself without it.

Prayer: I confess-- my ‘black girl attitude’ can rear its ugly head on occasion. I am not proud of it. Sometimes it may be justified—other times not so much. However, I have found that regardless of the reason it a appears a few deep breaths and a moment with the Lord will get me back in check and prepare me to tackle whatever it is that is ailing me—at least until I can get to a church or a bible (which generally isn’t too long—since I have a bible on my trusty iphone) .

My Bed: I love my bed! It’s the softest coziest, comfortablest (not a word, I know) place that has ever held me…I hate getting out of it in the morning and I love going home to it at night. It’s the best place to read, and write, and watch TV…. (sigh) I miss it right now


I’m most afraid of- Inadequacy. Not being good enough, doing enough, being enough—but NO one is perfect and does everything right—so I do my best to learn from my mistakes—and others mistakes –it’s a process.


People would be shocked if they knew- That I LOVE show tunes. In my former life I was a Broadway star!


Personal Motto-:"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to live the life that is waiting for us" -- Joseph Campbell

I am a planner. Though I really do LOVE surprises--it’s very difficult to get one over on me because I always NEED to know what happens next. I have always had specific visions of what my life is (or was) supposed to be like, where I would live, what I would do, etc. HOWEVER, little to none of that has come to pass. It used to disappoint me that things didn't seem to be going according to plan. I even found myself in the trenches of depression a time or two, BUT I had an awakening. Just because my life wasn't going the way that I planned doesn't mean that my life isn't going at all! I’ve discovered that plans are great, but if you can learn to go with the flow (and I AM still learning) then brand new experiences and opportunities can be opened up to you--and they could very well turn out to be better than what you planned.


What is love-Unselfishness. Putting another’s needs and desires before my own; being willing to grow with and for another person. It’s so easy to love someone because of all that they do for YOU, but what if they stop? Or say something that you don’t like? I have to ask myself ‘What have I put into the relationship’. I know that whatever I have given Love will reciprocate.


At the end of the day what matter's is- That you have PEACE with yourself, your life and whatever the future brings.









ERIKA


Beauty is defined as – fully accepting and loving the God gifts has given you to work with, both internally and externally, and making them as exquisite and fabulous as you possibly can!!

Favorite album title – AQUEMINI by Outkast

3 things that get me through the day: (1) a handful of blueberries and/or raspberries (2) intermittent gossip or giggle sessions with my girlfriends, usually on the clock at work, and (3) knowing I’m NOT the victim of my circumstances and that I have the freedom and abilities to do whatever I want during the day

I am most afraid of … on a shallow level, of choking on food then dying at my table at a very nice restaurant and have everybody stare at me…

On a deeper level I’m afraid of the possibility that I could be one of those people that is destined to be single. I know several awesome women in their late 40’s and 50’s that NEVER found “the one,” have accepted it and live their lives alone. I REALLY don’t want to be one of those ladies, but the thought OF being one of those ladies makes me afraid.

People would be shocked if they knew… I cried at the movie King Kong

Personal Motto … Fake it ‘til you make it!

What is love… can’t wait to find out!!! But I think it is completing knowing and accepting someone’s “craziness” and being okay with them knowing and accepting yours.

At the end of the day what matters is … being the type of FRIEND that YOUR friends will want to be there for when you truly need them. Learned that seriously in this last year…






SHANEKA

Beauty is defined as……………. the not one but two souls God has blessed me with nurturing that are currently residing in my belly.

Favorite Album Title……………."In a Sentimental Mood" – Duke Ellington & John Coltrane – Reminds me of a rainy, lazy Sunday afternoon

3 things that get me through the day…………… my husband’s morning kiss, my IPod, and my Nintendo DS – I commute an 1 ½ hours in to work every day, so I definitely need something to occupy my time!

I’m am most afraid of ……………………not living up to my own expectations that I create for myself. I have a tendency to over think things and with that I never want to be seen as a failure.

People would be shocked if they knew ………………………………..that it has taken the prospect of me becoming a mother to teach and show me how to love myself exactly for who I am – flaws and all. The experience has been a beautiful journey so far.

Personal Motto- “Always let your light shine”


Love is- Love is something that brings out your best self


At the end of the day what matter is- that God gave me the strength and the ability to continue to mold myself into the best human being possible and blessed me with the capacity to love others.











SHELLZ



Beauty is defined as-Self love, Self empowerment, Self improvement, and sharing the results of those things with others…. But also, it's not taking things so seriously, and being proud to walk out of the house undone, being confident that regardless as to what people see on the surface.....your spirit will shine through.



Favorite Album Title-The World Has Made Me The Man Of My Dreams”- Me'Shell Ndegeocello. This album title speaks volumes, you guys read this blog, you know, my plight and have encountered my adventures in love. I’ve learned that there are no fairytales and my soul mate can be found by looking in the mirror. It was beautiful when I discovered that She was there all the time, waiting patiently for me to discover how much potential she has, how beautiful she is, and how to discover the GOD in her.

3 things that get me through the day- Words, Music, and Laughs..........

I’m most afraid of- Not leaving a good enough legacy. This life we live is hard, but I feel compelled to make my mark in it.... some how, some way.. I’m trying….. Really trying….

People would be shocked if they knew- How convicted I am about my relationship with GOD

Personal Motto-“One day at a time’… that’s how I live, that’s how I love, that’s how I learn.

Love is-When people agree on what the definition of love is. It is also sacrifice...... Ask me what being in love feels like, I DONT KNOW.....

At the end of the day what matters is… That I remind my self that I am human I will make mistakes, but luckily because of devine grace I am forgiven. Oh! and that I brush my teeth!






MEESA

Beauty is defined as-
My definition of beauty is how you treat other people. I've known some physically beautiful people who were so rude and disrespectful to others that it made them hideous to me and vice versa. The way I see it is this: you never know when your friendliness and smile will be the saving grace to someone's day. Words to live by:“I've Learned That People Will Forget What You Said, People Will Forget What You Did, but People Will Never Forget How You Made Them Feel.” Maya Angelou is my hero and a very wise lady.




Favorite Album Title-Hmmm... I can't really say that I have one.


3 things that get me through the day-Lord knows we all need all the help we can get! LOL! The main things that get me through the day are:



Reminding myself that everything happens for a reason. Even miniscule things like getting stopped at a red light when you're running late for work. You never know when that red light will be what saves you from getting into an accident a block ahead.


Reminding myself that I have it better than 90% of the worlds population. That's a hard one though- especially on the really bad days when you feel like you've hit the bottom of your emotional scale.


girls No matter what, where, when, or why I know that I can call one of my girls to vent/cry/yell/cuss and throw myself a pity party and they will either give me advice, make me laugh or give me a much needed reality check.

I’m am most afraid of -Failure. Never having a family/the "American Dream". Losing more people I love to death although I know it's inevitable. Never being able to accomplish the things I want to do.

People would be shocked if they knew -I used to be an honor-roll student from elementary through 6th grade and that I was in church every Sunday as a child. Hard to tell now, huh?

Personal Motto-See above for the main one. Also... "Ain't gotta lie to kick it!" and "Everything happens for a reason."

Love isHmmm... love is almost impossible to define but I'll try to give my view....Love is the feeling of wanting someone's happiness more than your own. It is when you not only live for that person but would fight and die for them. It is feeling like part of you is missing when they're not there. It is loving their weaknesses as much as their strengths. It is non-judgemental. It's not passionate like they show in the movies but growing and maturing together and being able to just BE with each other. Love is that flutter you feel in your heart when seeing/hearing your unborn child's heartbeat for the first time. That feeling of butterflies but more intense, definitely hard to describe. Love is the joy you feel after seeing your mom's eyes light up and fill with tears when she walks in on her surprise 50th birthday party. Love is the pride you feel for your niece/nephew after they have accomplished something that they set their mind to....
wow- I think I could go on and on but I'll stop there. :oP


At the end of the day what matter's is -the fact that I survived the day with a roof over my head, food in my stomach, and that the people I love are safe and healthy. Regardless of how hard life gets I know that as long as those things are in place- the rest is trivial.





I Love you Beautiful Ladies


and to me



YOU ARE


ALL


RELEVANT!



ShellZ
























































































6 comments:

MrsTonybaby said...

Awww this is really beautiful Shellz! How inspiring!

-Tony

mi-mi said...

Wow, great blog!!!! It’s a wonderful blessing to have some lovely, strong women in our lives and you’re one of my blessings 'Mary'. Can't wait for that book to be published... well done ladies!

Shaneka said...

Definitely love all the blogs - isn't it crazy how diverse of a world we live in where no two answers are exactly alike? I definitely think that is the beauty that shows through in this mini blog! Keep em coming! I am absolutely a fan! :)

Meesa said...

*applause!!!!*

You're awesome chick! :o))

Unknown said...

Love your latest post-thank you for including me. You are amazing.

Anonymous said...

I WUV'S IT! You gotta catch me when i loose about 50 mo before you add me on here.

-NYSH