
I grew up in a strange environment
Strange because I was exposed
To both sides of the track
I lived on the side of town where
Socio-economically people were
Challenged
Most of my friends were being raised by
a single parent
we caught the city bus to get to where
we were going
Had our first jobs
at 14
No
No
lexus’ or
mercedes i
n my hood
(didn't capitalize those names because they are lower case in my mind)
And if people had them
They were purchased with
They were purchased with
Dirty money
Our Moms worked hard at minimal paying jobs
To keep a roof over our head
Most of the time there was way more
Month
Than there was
Our Moms worked hard at minimal paying jobs
To keep a roof over our head
Most of the time there was way more
Month
Than there was
MONEY....
But we survived
My mom sheltered me as best she could
From negative influences
We went to church
And were fed a steady diet of
Love
We may not have had a
But we survived
My mom sheltered me as best she could
From negative influences
We went to church
And were fed a steady diet of
Love
We may not have had a
Fridge full of food
But
I never remember being hungry
Everyday
But
I never remember being hungry
Everyday
I got up from my side of the tracks
At 6:15
To be
At 6:15
To be
bussed
To
To
THE
Affluent side
Where
Where
people took family vacations
And came back
And came back
with
Tans
Their families
Their families
could afford tutors
And Cheer leading Uniforms
And the had money in their wallets for lunch
Mine was
Free
My friends from 7:30-2:45
And Cheer leading Uniforms
And the had money in their wallets for lunch
Mine was
Free
My friends from 7:30-2:45
were named
Becky, and Amanda, or
Meredith
Becky, and Amanda, or
Meredith
but
After 2:45
I went home to
Keisha, Tasha, and Shanda
NO REGRETS
it all
made me cultured
People look at me wierd when I start my car
People look at me wierd when I start my car
and
Fleetwood Mac
or
Bonnie Rait
are playing loudly
and
and
I know every word
to each song
Because...
Because...
Well for some reason they too were singing my blues
the same way
Biggie or Run DMC did
some how
a connection was felt........
Yall
Yall
I can dance
on any set ....
simply
on any set ....
simply
because
It came to me early
“how to wear my mask’
It came to me early
“how to wear my mask’
I had to
Change my dialect,
fix my hair,
Dress a certain way
Depending on
what side of the tracks I was on
YES! I KNOW....
I’m different
Assorted
varied
Mottled
Spotty
Because.....
of this hand I was dealt
but
Im thinking.....................
Maybe,
just
maybe
I’ll stop staying on
one
side of the tracks
When it comes to
When it comes to
who I love
because
REGARDLESS
Its all a train ride………………..
2 comments:
r u talkin about what I think mami?
Go for it!! I can see you on dat side of the tracks.
you deserve to be happy
-Nysh
Oh I so feel this one! And especially from the Southern days!
Post a Comment