My life has a bit of a routine to it. I get up, go to work, mentor and service college kids all
day. Then I come home, take off my mask for a minute, either go out and do some kind of community service or church
activity, run errands, handle “business” blah blah blah……
My phone rings constantly, and I LOVE to answer it. I like
helping people, and offering my advice. However, operating in a routine
sometimes doesn’t leave us room to self-reflect. We get used to doing things the way we have always done them, and it becomes
LAW
Yesterday, I was told
by someone, another person’s assessment of me. It was their view of how I often
react to things. They were annoyed with my sarcasm, and my sometimes know –it-all
attitude, and I understand that.
Because, Sometimes I
get on my own nerves.
My initial reaction was to be upset. Because, who likes being
talked about behind their back? I wanted to contact the person who said these
things about me, and remind them of all the jacked up flaws they had. But,
mentioning that won’t change their perception of me, and if I am completely
honest….
There was some truth to it…..
The older I get, the less I care about fitting into molds. I
have my ways, we all do. But I am proudest of my hear t and my willingness to
grow….
I had a college friend of mine lose her husband less than a
month ago unexpectedly. She got up that morning went about her routine, and
just KNEW she would be returning to her normal, ordinary, life.
But, that was not so.
I just keep thinking about how short life is, and how it’s
so important that we don’t sweat the small stuff. Last year towards the end of 2013 I
encountered some rough times. I had to relocate, move out of my home (that I
ADORED by the way) my car was stolen, and I had a wreck.. all within a 3 month
period.
But, I kept smiling. I kept being me. I maintained my
routine….. but you know what I didn’t do…
I didn’t take a minute to just look around me….
I guess I am saying all of this to say sometimes we don’t take
a minute out of our day just to enjoy
the sunshine.
As cliché as it sounds, its important.
I think it keeps us
grounded.
Sometimes because we've settled into the lives we have made
for ourselves, we don’t take time to assess ourselves or redirect our thinking... That's not good.
After finding out about the
passing of my friends husband, I had to ask myself
“Shellz if you took your last breath, tomorrow. Did you die
happy?”
"Did you walk around worrying about keeping up with the
things others had?"
" Did you stress yourself about some imaginary time clock that
society says is a reflection of your “success?”
"What if you don’t accomplish everything you are “supposed”
to accomplish by your age?"
" Did you still leave a lasting legacy?"
I guess what I am trying to say is, we can’t change people’s
perception of us, we can’t guarantee that every day will be great. Things happen, we fail, we fall down, but as
long as we are breathing…
There is time to look up at the sky and say
“Thank you God”
Do you!
Love who you are!
If you need changing… Change!
But give yourself permission
for it to happen slow and gradual.
It usually last longer if it happens that
way..
Did I mention how much I love life right now… I honestly don’t
take one breath for granted.
Not one….

No comments:
Post a Comment