Thursday, August 7, 2008

Forever Changed



So my coworker invited me to her church last night for Wednesday service and I agreed to attend. She told me that the Ugandan Children's Choir would be performing and that I would really enjoy it. So I went. Enjoy! is an understatement. I am forever changed.

Yall tears fill my eyes right now as I think about last nights performance. I saw the most beautiful African children of all shades and hues of brown. The all had the most contagious smiles and were dancing and singing their hearts out. I was one of 10Black people in the audience outside of the Children and their choir director. I started to call everyone I knew and tell them to get there immediately because they needed to be there. I became too caught up in the moment. That phone sat in my purse.

During the performance they shared the stories of the Ugandan Children and how several of them were orphaned and had lost their parents to Aids or Malaria. Did I mention their smiles were contagious? Sometimes I wonder how?

After the event my other coworker who is Haitian said to me "Lets go greet our brothers and sister." I was somewhat hesitant(don't know why) but I went. We walked onto the stage and instantly the children reached out to hug us. I said to them "Beautiful voices, you did an excellent job" they each responded with "Thank you Madam"

One little girl had the best showmanship I've ever seen in my life. She was born to be on stage. For reasons I am unsure of I hugged her the hardest. Why I don't know. I guess I was trying to channel some hope and further encouragement through that squeeze. I just felt a connection for some reason. Something about her.........

Anyway, Yall know I gave my last few nickels to their charity. If I had more they would have gotten that too.


One thing that did disturb me was how the White people were talking to the children. I know for the most part they really did have the best of intentions but for the life of me I couldn't understand why they were yelling at the children when they spoke. Like because a child is not American they are deaf. One lady brought her daughter up on stage to a group of Ugandan little girls who were standing around and yells loudly (with the stupidest grin I've ever seen) "WHATS YOUR NAMES?" they each told her their names (((still yelling) "THIS IS MEAGAN, SHE IS MY DAUGHTER.. SHE IS 8 YEARS OLD JUST LIKE SOME OF YOU" I came so close to saying look lady they speak English and they can hear you just fine. As a matter of fact these children are smarter than little meagan because they speak 2 languages.(hmp)I know she meant well and Im sure it was all from a good place. Its just......I dont know, that was just ignorant to me.

The Final thing that bothered me most was the way this older man pat one of the boys on the head. OOOOOH That lights my fire! I hate to see that. It just seems so degrading to me, like they are saying "here here little African boy" I'm thinking these children are survivors, that's what makes me emotional. They have lost relatives, seen their parents die, lived in huts with mattresses and no sheets, keep your hands off their heads and get out that check book!

Anyway, I am forever changed by last nights performance. All night before I went to bed I hummed their song

I am special and accepted
Special and protected
and I dont even have to try.......


We have it bad in some regards in the states, but man it could be sooooo much worse. Be grateful for what we do have yall and the moves we are about to make through our right to VOTE! EXERCISE IT!!

Love yall
Stay-Relevant

ShellZ

1 comment:

Few Redeeming Qualities.... said...

that white condescention and pity(if that is a word) rears its ugly head again. i wish i had been there for the performance. it sounded beautiful.