Saturday, February 23, 2008

Who Are You 9/07

Who are you?
Today, I was creating a template for my students to use to help with making wise career choices and decisions. Sometimes it's so easy to advise but when the tables are turned you realize things are more complex than they seem. One of the questions I asked my students was "Who are you?" to me that seemed really easy to answer to me until one of my students said to me "I don't know who I am," He asked me "Ms. Tyler if you were me what would you say" That shit stumped me! … I sat there in silence for a minute to gather my retort, but because I am honest with my students I told him to get back to me on that.

After he left, I thought about that question and below is my answer. ( I would not advise my students to say this in an interview, but when you look at what you have written it puts a lot in perspective as to why we make the choices we do in life). I hope all is well in everyone's world and maybe you should try this exercise too. You never know, you truly might learn something about yourself, and for me it really a lot in perspective. Love Yall….

Love Yall
Stay Relevant

Question: Who are you?
I am Gods Child, I work everyday get my paycheck twice monthly and shake my head.
Atleast 3 times a week, I calculate my finances and nothing ever changes.
I am an unbiased opinion, even though my inner voice wants me to tell you that's
A really bad decision. I listen with patience, and internalize what I hear.
I am someones mother in the future, and already someones daughter. According to statistics, because I am educated the chances of finding someone that matches is slim to none.
I curse as a statement of anger, fear and comedy, then I repent because that's not Godly. I am bigger than I was 10 years ago, and smaller then I will be on 10 years from now.
I am his future wife, and just maybe someone future ex wife. I flourish when I believe in God, and see my demise when I don't.


I laugh like my mother, and walk like my father. Every time I smile I am reminded that my parents had a "moment"
I am wasting my talent, but only because to me its not perfected yet. I've never wanted to be rich, but I wouldn't mind being debt free.
I smile when I see black men alone with their children, and I pray that that the epidemic and rarity of that stops
I hate when people don't like me, and then I get over it because my bills don't disappear just because someone's not pleased


I am Complex because I know to much, but not knowing scares me to the point of restlessness, and boredom
I am a work in progress, a rose that grew from concrete, a lilly in the valley, and everything else cliché to warrant my progress
I am Gods child, and forever protected, I have been poorer than I am and will be richer than I was I am blessed, and alive and nobody is made or designed like me.

No comments: